Live! From the GrooveYard (1966)
Vancouver had a happening R&B music scene in the pre-psychedelic 1960s. Bands like The Nocturnals and Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers managed to chart across the country, but many others were big draws locally. Numerous live music venues popped up to fill the seemingly insatiable demand of the local youth culture, and Live! From the GrooveYard is a classic recording capturing that period.
Despite its name, the music on the double album was actually recorded at a West Broadway studio and the “live” sound was a looped recording from a West 4th hippie club called Afterthought. A 1981 Sun article points out that the musical rivalry between soul/R&B and the Stones/Beatles rock sound comes across on this record.
Live! From the GrooveYard was produced to promote the GrooveYard teen dance club at 759 Carnarvon in New Westminster. A Vancouver GrooveYard operated briefly on Davie Street in the old Embassy Ballroom, which later became Retinal Circus, Dante’s Inferno, and currently Celebrities nightclub. Tommy Chong operated a bottle club in the basement called the Elegant Parlour. One night in 1965, The Supremes visited the club and were sufficiently impressed with Chong’s band, Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers, that they helped get them a record deal on Motown. Bobby Taylor later did the same for the Jackson 5.
1. Homeless person wi-fi hotspots might just be the absolute culmination/representation of gentrification and class disconnect ever.
2. Honestly why not just bring back “bum fights” at this point? or rig homeless people so that people can charge their ipads on them?
3. 4 words: mobil human picnic tables. homeless people get on their hands and knees and put a table cloth on their backs for you! anywhere!
4. Why not have homeless people stand in fields for you to piss on? “hold my ipad, im gonna go take a piss on that homeless guy!” “hurry up!”
5. “Excuse me, sir, can you hold your hands above your head please? i only have 3 bars of wi-fi and im trying to update my tumbler. THANKS.”
6. Of course im sure “living wi fi antenna” is exactly the type of resume bullet point that will put a homeless man back in to the work force.
7. That thing where your wifi hotspot wont stop telling you about vietnam or crying. #homelesswifi
8. That thing where your wifi hotspot asks you for a cigarette. #homelesswifi
9. That thing where your wifi hotspot has a beautiful voice+gets a job on radio only to fall back in to drugs and alcoholism. #homelesswifi
10. That thing where your wifi hotspot walks away just before the end of the season finale of “downtown abby”. #homelesswifi
11. That thing where the government bounds and gags your wifi hotspot because some kid downloaded “wolverine origins”. #homelesswifi
Not sure if the glitches in this song are intentional or not, but love them all the same.
What this camera doesn’t tell you: how likely you are to be eaten by a grue.